What are Free Spins?
If you want to try casino games for free but you still want to win real money, free spins are your thing! The name says it all, they are free game rounds to casino games and you can win real money with them. Usually, free spins are linked to a specific game, for example, when you sign up to a casino, you might get 20 free spins to one of the most known NetEnt slots called Starburst, or you get to choose from specific games where you wish to use the free spins you just got.
Usually, you need to wager the winnings you get from the spins, but the case is not always like that. Below we listed some of the best casinos where you can get free spins from, as a signup bonus or as a deposit bonus. Not all of these free spins come with wagering requirements but more about that below.
No Deposit Free Spins
Many casinos give out free spins as a gift for new customers. The gaming companies want you to try their product, and they give you freebies for starters. Sometimes you might even get hundreds of spins, but usually, they come just couple spins a day for many days. Anyway, these promotions are extremely good as you have nothing to lose but everything to gain! Usually, these free spins come with strict rules and wagering requirements, but not always, like for example with Rizk.
Pro tip: Some casinos have maximum limits for free spin winnings. You might be able to win for example maximum £100 with your free spins. Avoid these casinos! We have not listed any casinos like that on our site.
Deposit Bonus Free Spins
You can get free gaming rounds also by making the first deposit as some casinos give out free spins as a signup bonus. Sometimes casinos also reward loyal players with different promotions, such as make a deposit and get X amount of free spins. These offers are valuable for you as a customer, so we recommend that you take the full benefit out of them. For example, Casumo offers a hefty amount of free spins when you make your first deposit. Click here to read our expert review of Casumo.
No Wagering Requirement
Some casinos give out their free spins always with no wagering requirement. That means you can keep all the money you win from the spins with no strings attached. For example, Rizk and Guts give their extra spins always with no wagering requirement or other strict small letter rules.
At Rizk you get to spin Wheel of Rizk after you open your account. It is a wheel of fortune type of game from which you will win at least ten free spins on your first spin, but the maximum prize is amazing £25. All this with no wagering requirement.
Winner Story – £20 000 With No Deposit!
One lucky Rizk player created his account in March 2016, just couple months after the casino was launched. The player got the Wheel of Rizk spin, like all the other new customers, and he won free spins, from the spin. He managed to win £12 with the free spins, and then he logged out of his account. The player most likely forgot the money on his account as he gave back after one year. Most likely Rizk had contacted the customer that he has some funds left in his account.
Well, the customer came back and opened NetEnt’s Aloha: Cluster Pays slot, which was a quite new slot back then. He won around £14 000 from that game quite quickly. After these winnings, the player went to play Starburst, and in the end, he had around £20 000. Now he took a withdrawal and got the money to his bank account in couple days! People say there are no free lunches, but I think we can beg to differ this time. Maybe you are the next lucky person? You never know if you don’t try.
What Games Can I Play?
Usually, free spins are given to slots as they are the most popular and most known type of games. NetEnt games have been extremely popular with free spins as NetEnt games are in general the most known games in Europe. When there is a new slot launch from NetEnt, Microgaming or IGT, you will usually find a decent free spin promotion to that game from any well established online casino. Sometimes free spins are given to table games, such as roulette and blackjack, but that is quite rare. We estimate that 95 percent of the free spins are given to slots, and most of them to NetEnt slots, such as Starburst.
Tips How to Get Free Spins
Free spins are not just for new players or some high roller VIP players. All the normal casino players will get them too. If you follow these simple tips, you will maximize the free spins you will get during your time in a certain online casino.
- Claim the no deposit free spins first and then wait couple days or weeks. The casino will most likely send you an SMS or newsletter with an enhanced offer giving you a better deal (= more free spins or a better signup bonus in general)
- Make a big first deposit. Now the casino thinks you are a valuable player for them, so they will send you different promotions to make you deposit again.
- Check the promotions section of the casino where you play at. Some of the promotions are valid for every player, but they are communicated only to the most valuable players. They might be open to everyone since the casino doesn’t have technical capabilities to block the promotion for certain customers. This means you can enjoy the best promotions, no matter if you are a low stakes player.
Turnover Requirements and Other Rules
Most casinos have strict rules for their free spins and the winnings you get from the spins. Therefore, we recommend that you always take a look at the terms and conditions of the promotion. Sometimes the rules are extremely strict with maximum winnings, huge turnover requirements and such. If you feel that an offer is too good, then you should pay attention to the details. In general, we don’t list casinos that use terms and conditions that are too strict for the players, but sadly we can’t guarantee that the rules are always fair.
Practical Example of Wagering Requirements
Let’s say you opened an account with LeoVegas and took the 20 free spins that you are eligible for as you are a new customer from the UK. Now you won amazing £10 with the spins. LeoVegas terms and conditions state that you need to wager the winnings 35 times before you are allowed to make a withdrawal. Therefore, you need to stake at least £350, and then you can withdraw the money. This doesn’t mean that you need to deposit now as you can continue playing with the 10 quid you just won. If you win more with it, you might as well manage to wager the £350 and get free money out from the casino! We don’t say it is easy, but perfectly doable.
Here are some examples of the free spins rules you want to keep an eye on:
- Turnover requirement (how many times you have to wager the winnings, typical number is 35 times the winnings)
- Minimum deposit amount to receive the free spins (with deposit and get free spins type of bonuses, you sometimes have to deposit more than the minimum amount)
- Minimum turnover to receive the free spins (with deposit and get free spins type of bonuses, you usually have to wager the deposit at least once to receive the free spins)
- Restricted deposit methods (sometimes, for example, Skrill deposits don’t qualify for the free spins bonus you are going for)
- When playing with bonus money, such as free spins winnings, your funds will be initially taken from the real money balance, followed by bonus money. For example, if you deposit £50 and get 100 free spins, from which you win £10, now if you lose £20, you still have the £10 bonus money balance. Avoid casinos that have this rule!
- Single account rule (you are not allowed to have more than one account per household)
- Stakes from different casino games count differently towards the qualifying criteria for the wagering requirements (some games give you for example only 10% wagering, such as roulette in some casinos)